Cocheco Lacrosse Club By-Laws
Article I - NAME
The name of this group shall be the Cocheco Lacrosse Club, referred to as Cocheco.
Article II - PURPOSE
The purposes of this organization are:
- To provide an opportunity for young people to participate in organized team play of the sport of lacrosse regardless of race, religion, or economic background.
- To encourage and publicize the sport of lacrosse.
- To instill in our players, parents, coaches and directors, the ideals of good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty, positive self-esteem, teamwork, and respect for others. Cocheco is determined to teach poise and character to all of those involved as it relates to activities occurring on and of the field of play.
- To emphasize the development of lacrosse skills, where participation for fun, growth, and enjoyment shall be of primary concern.
- Cocheco Lacrosse is organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes.
Article III - MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Participating Members. Participating members shall consist of the parents/legal guardians of any player on a Cocheco Lacrosse team in the past 12 months or any coach of a Cocheco Lacrosse team who does not have a child on a Cocheco team. A parent/guardian shall have one vote regardless of the number of players they have in the Cocheco program.
Section 2: Contributing Members. Contributing members shall consist of those individuals who have contributed financially or with services who do not meet the definition of Participating Member.
Article IV - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1: The Board of Directors (“Board”) will have all powers to transact the business of the organization. It will also appoint committees as deemed necessary.
Section 2: The voting members of the Board shall consist of the President, Vice-President - Boys, Vice President – Girls, Treasurer, Secretary and additional Members-at-Large not to exceed 15 voting Board members. Each member shall have one vote.
Section 3: Additional at-large board members may be appointed by a 2/3 vote of the existing Board with their term to be approved by the full membership at the next annual meeting. The term of Board membership shall be two years.
Section 4: The above-named positions shall also serve as the officers of the organization with the duties enumerated in Article V.
Section 5: Officers shall be elected at Cocheco’s annual meeting and the term of office shall be one year. Any vacancy which occurs during the year will be filled by appointment of the Board of Directors.
Article V – QUALIFACTIONS AND DUTIES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1: President. The President shall have the following duties:
- The power to call meetings of the Board of Directors and to call special meetings of membership as deemed necessary.
- General supervision of all of the affairs of the organization including overseeing the budget, relations with the Dover Recreation Department and any other governmental body, and handling any disputes that cannot be resolved by the appropriate Vice President.
- Set the agenda and preside at all meetings.
Section 2: Vice President – Boys/Girls. Each Vice-President shall have the following duties:
- Oversee all aspects of their respective programs including recruiting coaches, scheduling games and scrimmages, ensuring proper reporting to New Hampshire Youth Lacrosse Association (NHYLA) or Seacoast Area Youth Lacrosse League (SAYLL), (or any other governing body, handling any disputes which cannot be resolved by the appropriate coach
- Assume the duties of the president in that person's absence, one Vice President to be chosen by the Board for that purpose.
Section 3: Secretary. The Secretary shall have the following duties:
- Record and publish minutes of all meetings of the Board of Directors and any other meetings.
- Give advance notice of all meetings.
- Manage all correspondence for Cocheco.
- Keep a current list of the names and addresses of members of Cocheco.
- When the treasurer changes, report to the bank (TD BANK) and the web site provider (League Athletics) with the new physical address.
Section 4: Treasurer. The Treasurer shall have the following duties:
- Collect all money due Cocheco and to deposit such funds in the name of and for the use of Cocheco in such bank or banks as he/she shall be directed by the Board of Directors.
- Pay, upon approval of the Board of Directors, all bills owed by Cocheco.
- Keep financial record of the organization.
- Provide a financial report at each Board meeting.
- Oversee any needed filings with the State of New Hampshire and the IRS to maintain the organization’s tax free status.
- For reporting purposes when a post office box is insufficient, the treasurer's home address shall be the organization's physical address.
Section 5: Member at Large. The Members-at-Large shall have the following duties:
- Serve on Committees and assist with special projects.
- Act as an ambassador of Cocheco Lacrosse in the community.
- Any other duties as designated by the President.
Article VI - RESIGNATIONS
Resignations are effective upon receipt of written notification by the Secretary.
Article VII - REMOVAL
An Officer or Member-at-Large may be removed by a majority vote of the current Board of Directors whenever in the Board’s judgment the best interests of Cocheco Lacrosse will be served by such removal provided the officer or Member-at-Large has been given reasonable notice and the opportunity to be heard.
Article VIII - MEETINGS
Section 1: Annual Meeting. The Participating and Contributing Members shall hold an annual meeting no later than March of each year. The meeting shall elect new Board Members and Officers, receive a report on the financial condition of Cocheco Lacrosse, consider any amendments to these By-Laws, and conduct any other business of the organization as needed.
Section 2: Board of Directors Meetings.
- The Board of Directors shall meet at least monthly from December through June and at least bi-monthly July through November.
- All meetings shall be open to any Participating or Contributing Member.
- In order for items of Cocheco Lacrosse business brought before the Board to be eligible for a vote, a quorum of the Board must be present.
- Quorum will consist of three-fifths (3/5) of the Board of Directors.
- Any vote taken at a qualified meeting of the Board of Directors shall carry with a majority vote.
Article IX - PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE
Robert's Rules of Order, Revised, shall govern the proceedings when not inconsistent with these By-Laws.
Article X - AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these By-Laws may be proposed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors or by a petition of 25% of the current membership of Cocheco Lacrosse.
- Amendments will be voted on at the Annual Meeting or at a special meeting called by the Board of Directors for that purpose.
- Any special meeting called for the purpose of amending the by-laws must be announced to the membership at least 30 days in advance via the organizations website, mail or electronic mail, or other reasonable delivery method.
- Copies of the proposed changes will be made available to the membership 30 days in advance of the meeting.
- Amendments to the By-Laws shall require a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the members present.
- Copies of the By-Laws shall be posted on the organization’s website and hard copies will be available upon request.
Article XI - INSURANCE
Liability insurance for Cocheco Lacrosse shall be obtained through US Lacrosse. All players, coaches, and Board members must be members of US Lacrosse to be able and eligible to participate in the Cocheco Lacrosse Club.
Article XII – DISSOLUTION
In the event of dissolution of this organization, funds in the treasury and net assets, after all creditors have been paid, shall go to the City of Dover Recreation Department, or other 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations, to be determined by the Board of Directors. Upon dissolution, the net assets of Cocheco Lacrosse shall not inure the benefit of any individual member, but shall be distributed to one or more organizations organized and operated exclusively for charitable, educational or other purposes as shall be at the time qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or corresponding section of any future federal tax code
Adopted: January 23, 2014